Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Top 5 Links of the Week (that I can remember)

Working from home means that my schedule is all up in the air and fluid.  Right now, my solution has been the opposite of what every work-from-home employee might suggest; rather than block my work time off, and have the rest of the day off, I block off my writing/research time, and work the rest of the day.

What that means is that I've been tearing through the links.  So without further ado, my top five links of this week (that I can remember):


  1. Carl Phillips on writing.  (BTW, Carl's book, Riding Westward, is phenomenal.)
  2. Daniel Nester hates the term/genre(?)/style Lyrical Essay.
  3. Are E-Books good for poetry?
  4. Getting the DL on the new Sarah Baartman flick. (BTW, Bianca Spriggs has a poem that sort of blows me away about Sarah Baartman in her new book Kafir Lily)
  5. Dwayne Betts talks poetry and the prison system.
Also, because I just read it, and it the story has me hooked enough to be reading it immediately again, check out Erin Keane's new book Death Defying Acts.  Especially if you are afraid of clowns.

3 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on e-books for poetry? Are they eroding the ritual (or are they changing it)? Interesting article... I often find myself wondering the same thing... well about novels and literature, of course. Also, I'm wondering what else you read besides poetry. Any authors or themes in particular?

    -Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Changing it, perhaps. It seems to be that poetry may be one of the most resistant forms of writing to the change. With lower readership to begin with, and more emphasis on the form itself, I don't see poetry switching over any time soon.

    It's hard even to be scared of a shift, since poetry has long existed outside the bounds of the printed word.

    As for what else I read... I'm a big fan of existentialism and stream-of-thought writing. I love Gurney Norman, I absolutely adored Notes from the Underground and the Invisible Man. But that's just right now. I move around a lot, I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stream-of-thought writing can be really fun to read. Nice!!

    ReplyDelete